FMCSA Operating Authority

What is the operating authority FMCSA?

Operating Authority is a motor carrier’s right to operate a commercial motor vehicle to transport goods or passengers for-hire.

Motor Carrier of Property (except Household Goods)  is an authorized for-hire Motor Carrier that transports regulated commodities (except household goods) for the general public in exchange for payment. Motor Carriers of Property (except Household Goods) must file proof of public liability (bodily injury and property damage – BI & PD) with FMCSA in order to obtain interstate Operating Authority. Cargo insurance is not required. 
USDOT Number is a unique interstate operating authority assigned by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) to all interstate movers. A USDOT number (U.S. Department of Transportation number) is an interstate operating authority and unique identifier assigned to a moving company performing interstate moves by the FMCSA. The government uses this number to keep track of a moving company’s safety records, such as registration status, compliance reviews, ratings, inspections, crash investigations, and more. This information is made public and easily accessible on the FMCSA website.
An MC Number is another interstate operating authority given by the FMCSA in addition to a USDOT number. An MC number (Motor Carrier number) is also an interstate operating authority and unique identifier assigned by the FMCSA to moving companies operating in interstate commerce – in other words, hauling cargo across state lines. However, while all interstate movers are required to have and display a USDOT number on their commercial carriers, not all moving companies need an MC number. What is the difference between USDOT numbers and MC numbers? The types of movers required to get them.