IRP Apportionment Plate

IRP Apportionment Plate

IRP New Applicant, Renewal, Transfer, Adding Jurisdiction, Re-Class and Replace ID or Plate, Special Hauling Permit, Apportioned Plates. Apportionment is required for vehicles operating in two or more International Registration Plan (IRP) member jurisdictions that have a combined gross weight or used in combination where the weight exceeds of more than 26,000 pounds, including the weight of the vehicle and the maximum load, or is a power unit having three or more axles, regardless of weight. Commercial vehicles weighing less than 26,000 pounds operating intrastate in two or more jurisdictions must also apportion. Apportioned power units (truck, tractor, truck tractor, buses, mobile home trailers, power wreckers) do not have to be titled in Illinois to purchase apportioned plates.

Apportioned registration and IRP registration

The IRP registration is also known as apportioned registration.

The IRP is a reciprocity agreement among 48 continental United States, the District of Columbia, and 10 Canadian provinces. It enables fleets to register automobiles in one home location and pay apportioned licensing fees based on how much they operate in each jurisdiction.

Apportioned registration is the official registration motor carriers complete in their home state or states. Once completed, vehicles may move throughout several jurisdictions without multiple registrations or trip permits.

Although fleets register cars or trucks in one jurisdiction, an apportioned registration means they pay fees in each state and/or province where they operate. Most importantly, their payments are proportional to the number of miles a vehicle logs in each place. 

For apportioned license plate registration, you will need to comply with the following:

  1. Get a Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCA) authorization. Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA
  2. Have a U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) number. If you transport cargo interstate or haul hazardous materials intrastate and are required to carry a safety permit, you must register for a USDOT number. Apart from federal regulations, some states require their intrastate commercial motor vehicle registrants to obtain a USDOT number
  3. Secure an IFTA permit. This permit simplifies the reporting of fuel used by motor carriers operating in multiple jurisdictions and allows your commercial vehicle business to have a single fuel license. Refer to your state’s IFTA Department to secure your permit. 
  4. Complete relevant forms.